Ask Us

If you've got something you'd like to ask, shoot us a question and an expert will be able to respond within 2 working days

Filter by:

Should i have to come out to my doctor?

Hi, thanks for your question! Deciding whether to come out to your doctor is entirely up to you! It’s a personal decision that no one else can make on your behalf. However, it’s a good idea to find a doctor who you are comfortable discussing sensitive issues with, especially if you get your sexual health screening done with your regular GP. If your doctor knows what type of sex you may be having, that will help inform the types of tests needed to get a proper screen. For instance, if your doctor doesn’t know that you may be having anal sex, they are not likely to recommend getting a rectal swab done during an STI screen (which is recommended for gay men having anal sex). If you don’t currently have a doctor that you feel comfortable discussing your sexuality with, you can find this helpful list of gay-friendly GPs based in NSW here: Sexual health clinics are also a great place to get judgement-free sexual health screens. You can find your nearest clinic by calling the Sexual Health Infolink on 1800 451 624. If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to get in touch!

Hello how are you? Headspace gives me your website, because my boyfriend is really depressed and doesn’t feel good. So I want to help him to get a better life.

Hi, thanks for your question. ACON offers a confidential counselling service for LGBTI people who may be experiencing distress and who might benefit from support in relation to their mental health and wellbeing. To access the service, you will need to undergo a brief assessment in person or over the phone. For more information or to undertake an assessment please contact ACON on 9206 2000. You can find out more about the mental health services ACON offers here: If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to get in touch!

I want to start my transsexual progress

Hi, thanks for your question. If you would like more information or resources specifically relating to support for transgender people or have specific questions, there are a number of organisations which can help. The Gender Centre has lots of info, groups and support services, and are a great first point of contact. Their website is: ACON, which has offices in Sydney, Lismore and Newcastle, has counselling and other support for all LGBTI people, including transgender people. Our website is: ACON can also provide phone counselling via skype if you don’t live near our offices. Speaking to a trusted GP about this can also be a good first step. They will be able to refer you to other health professionals who will be able to assist. If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to get in touch!

I'm born with hiv I got it from my parents. Can I get married to a negative partner?

Hi and thank you for your message. It is increasingly the case that positive people are having relationships with negative people. This often requires some time and negotiation between the two partners to ensure both parties are confident and comfortable with the relationship. What has made this negotiation easier are increasing numbers of people on medication with undetectable viral loads. An undetectable viral load means there is no risk of transmitting HIV – it would be worthwhile to look at the treatment section on the Ending HIV webpage - Hope this is helpful and please let me know if you require more information.

HOw can I get Prep??

PrEP is currently accessible through the EPIC study for those at high risk of acquiring HIV, or through personal importation after getting a prescription from a GP. For more information follow these links:

I recently tested hiv negative, but still worried I might be at risk of contracting hiv since my partner havent been tested for quite a long time now. I am a student -not finacially stable. I would like to have prep medications,mybe how will i get these pills and at what cost? Kindly waiting for your response,Thank you!

Currently PrEP is accessible for free through the EPIC study for those at high risk of acquiring HIV. For more information on how to enrol, see the EPIC NSW website.

I'd like to try PrEP

For more information on the EPIC trial underway in NSW, go here: Or, if you don’t qualify for the trial but would still like to access PrEP you are able to import this yourself after getting a prescription from a doctor. For more information on how to do this, go here:

Please advise me how I can apply for the trial thankyou

The trial will be starting very soon, however the first sites have not yet been formally announced. The best way to be kept up to date with information on how to apply for the trial is by signing up to the mailing list here:

Regarding the disclosure law of one's status in N.S.W. Is the disclosure required for any sexual act with another person or for the act of someone having unprotected sex more so?

No, if you are taking reasonable precautions against transmission of HIV. Yes, if you are having unprotected sex. The Public Health Act requires that a person must inform a sexual partner of their HIV status prior to sex (which includes vaginal, oral and anal sex) unless they are taking reasonable precautions against transmission of HIV. The definition of ‘reasonable precautions’ is thought to refer to condoms, but may also refer to other risk reduction strategies (such as having an undetectable viral load.) This defence has not yet been tested in court in NSW and so we cannot say definitively what can be considered. For more information on legal concerns around HIV and transmission , contact The HIV/AIDS Legal Centre who will be able to provide advice or assistance.