Ask Us

If you've got something you'd like to ask, shoot us a question and an expert will be able to respond within 2 working days

Filter by:

Hi, I did my test on the 21 Feb at Oxford st, is been almost a month now and I have still haven't got my result, just wondering when I can to get my result back? Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for your question. Results from a[TEST] Oxford Street are managed by our clinical partners, the Sydney Sexual Health Centre. To obtain your results, give them a call direct on 02 9382 7440 and they will provide them to you.

Hi, i am a gay Asian guy and have reason to believe there's a minor low chance that i've been infected with Hiv today out of uncharacteristic carelessness. I rather not share my story but want to know how much is the HIV test and whether it is a good idea to test myself in 3 months time after the incubation period.

Hi There, There are a range of things for you to consider, including post exposure prophylaxis (PEP) and details about HIV/STI testing. If you think you have been exposed to HIV within the last 72 hours, it is important to consider post exposure prophylaxis (PEP). PEP is a course of pills taken following a possible exposure to HIV. PEP significantly reduces the risk that a person will acquire HIV from a risk incident, must be initiated with 72 hours of a risk and the sooner the better. For these reasons, it is important to act fast. While this might not be an option for you in this particular event, it would be wise to memorise this strategy in case something similar happens in the future. Details about PEP and how to obtain PEP here: For HIV testing, any sexual health clinic in NSW is able to provide you with a free HIV and STI screen without you needing a Medicare card. ACON also runs a[TEST], a peer run HIV/STI testing service in Newtown, Surry Hills, Kings Cross and Oxford Street. This is a free service that does not require you to have a medicare card either. If you would like to book an appointment at a[TEST] visit our website: If you would like to find out where you nearest Sexual Health Clinic is check out NSW Health’s website here: The window period refers to the time between potential exposure to HIV infection and the point when HIV can be detected by HIV tests. This can range from six weeks to three months, depending on what test you receive. The only person who can provide you that information is the healthcare provider doing your testing, so make sure to ask when you get tested. To learn more about how HIV is transmitted and get guidance about the tests used in sexual health clinics, call the Sexual Health Information Line (SHIL). There number is 1800 451 624 and their website is here:

What about the HIV-1 and 2 antigen/antibody test in 10 days, 42 days, 62 days and 108 days negative? What is common test in nsw ?

NSW has a range of HIV tests that are used, all with different sensitivity windows. To confirm which test is being used the best person to talk to is the health professional who is providing you with the test. Further, if you feel that the transmission of HIV is causing you a good deal of stress and anxiety, it could be a good idea to speak to a counsellor or doctor about how to best manage that stress. You can register to speak to an ACON counsellor here:

How reliable is the 4th generation HIV test at 6+ weeks? Is it conclusive?

Thanks for the question! Without knowing the specifics of which test you had been given it’s hard for us to comment. We would recommend speaking with the health care professional that gave you the test as they would be able to advise you on the test’s sensitivity and accuracy.

Is a 7 month negative HIV test absolutely conclusive?

Hi, thank you for your question. If you have had a HIV test seven months after your potential exposure to HIV, you can read your results as being conclusive. If you are concerned about whether or not this is true, the best thing to do would be to talk to a medical professional. If you are still concerned it might also be worth getting in touch with a sexual health nurse through the sexual health info link on 1800 451 624.

Hi, just a question , I’m really concerned about my status at the momement it’s not that I sleep around a lot it’s I do a lot of oral sex... I only just had unprotected sex 2 days ago and with another male and I’m starting to get a sensation of burning around the top of my penis but it comes and goes ? Should I be concerned and get tested now or wait?

Oral sex is very low risk for acquiring HIV. Oral sex is however a very common way for sexual partners to transmit STIs such as gonorrhoea or chlamydia. We recommend you have an HIV/STI comprehensive test between two to four times per year, ongoing, as long as you are sexually active. Because you are having symptoms in your genitals, we would recommend testing immediately. Your symptoms could be an STI but only HIV/STI testing will answer that question, as well as allow you to get treatment if necessary. STIs are generally very treatable, so don’t be too nervous, this is part of being sexually active. Condoms are the most effective prevention strategy to reduce the risk of acquiring STIs. For more information about testing, see link below:

Hi i had sex in overseas with unknown girl.I have tested hiv several times , 5 weeks ,8 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months ,12 months , 14 months in Sydney. It was all negative. I took one test after 6 months in overseas, it came positive and they run western blot and which was negative. I came back and have few tests in Sydney which were negative. I also had couple of times viral load and cd4 count. Both the times viral load was undetected and cd4/cd8 count first time interrupted by lab as a chronic viral infection due to the presence of killer cell and cd4/cd8 ratio was 1:1and then second cd4/cd8 count I had my ratio 1:0. I don’t know I feel sick after that incident. Can it be hiv2?

Hi, thank you for your question. If you have had tests up to 14 months after your potential exposure to HIV, you can take these tests as being conclusive. That is, that you are HIV negative. On rare occasions, a rapid or point of care HIV test can come back as a false-positive. This is why these tests are also followed up by a blood test (in your case a western blot test) as it is a 100% accurate as a confirmatory test. Given that it came back negative, it can also be concluded that these test show that you are HIV negative. If you find your anxiety related to HIV transmission becoming unmanageable, talk to your doctor about these feelings. A referral to a counselling service or similar can go a long way in unpacking stress related to HIV transmission and testing. If based in NSW, you can call the Sexual Health Infolink on 1800 451 624 to speak to a nurse.

I have an unprotected vaginal intercourse with sw last month. And I have taken the hiv combo (ag/ab) test 33 days post exposure, 1 days post pep. The results came out is 0.63, non reactive. Does my result can be trusted as I do not have hiv? Is the index value means anything?

Hi, thank you for your question. The best person to talk to about the specific HIV test you received would be the medical practitioner that administered your HIV test. Alternatively, if you live in NSW, Australia, you can call the sexual health info link on 1800 451 624 to speak to a sexual health nurse.

Are we systematically tested for chlamydia during a STD screening? One of my partner declared being positive but I performed a test in your center previously so I guess I am not the one who did infected him.

Hi, thank you for your question. If you went to an a[TEST] clinic and received a blood test, you would have been tested for chlamydia. If you have symptoms we would strongly recommend visiting Sydney Sexual Health Centre to have a sexual health check-up. If you don’t have symptoms and it has been more than 7 days (outside the window period for chlamydia) you can book a sexual health test at a[TEST]. If you are concerned and would like more information, we would recommend you call the sexual health info link on 1800 451 624 to speak to a sexual health nurse.