Ask Us

If you've got something you'd like to ask, shoot us a question and an expert will be able to respond within 2 working days

Filter by:

I had sex for the first Time and it was a protective one which we didn't even kiss but the following day I started feeling burns in my mouth and sick

Hi, It is a bit hard to understand risk based on your description of events. If you are concerned about the transmission of HIV or STIs, we recommend speaking to a doctor or nurse about your situation. In NSW, contact the Sexual Health Info Link to find the appropriate referral pathway. Contact details below: If you would like to learn more about HIV and STIs, prevention strategies and testing information, visit our Ending HIV Platform for comprehensive sexual health information:

How long you’ll know if you’re infected with STI’s?

Many STIs can be asymptomatic, which means that you might not show any symptoms at all. Because of this the only way to know if you have an STI is to get tested. We recommend to get tested (both for HIV and STIs) once every 3 months if you are sexually active.

Hi. I am a male who had penetrative sex (vaginal) with a condom 3.5 weeks ago. Since than I have had itching on the scrotum. I am very worried I have HSV2. The woman has HSV2

Hi, thank you for your question. HSV2 can be transmitted via skin to skin contact, so it is possible for this to have happened. Given that you know the status of your sexual partner, and you may be experiencing symptoms, we would strongly recommend that you go and visit your doctor and have a sexual health check-up. It is also important that you communicate that you suspect you may have been exposed to HSV2. This is to make sure the doctor does a comprehensive check-up and prescribes the right treatments if necessary.

my balls are red and painful

Hi, thanks for your question. Red, swollen or painful balls are possible symptoms of an STI. If you are experiencing these symptoms, it’s definitely a good idea to visit a doctor or sexual health clinic so they can have a look and test you if necessary. If based in NSW, you can call the Sexual Health Infolink on 1800 451 624 to find your nearest sexual health clinic.

Hey. I’m 19 and I just found I have chlaymidya but my boyfriend doesn’t know.. we always use condom.. we have only been together for a week.. what should I do... he doesn’t know I had sex with another guy before we got to getting... and if you have taken the table to get rid of chlaymidya.. does it work if you have getting head as well.. do the table work for your throat as well or do you need different ones??? Thank you

Hi, thanks for your question. It can seem scary to tell your boyfriend (or sexual partners) that you have an STI, but the best thing to do is be open and honest. This is important because they may need to get tested and treated as well. You should also refrain from having sex until you have completed your treatment, otherwise, you run the risk of infecting your boyfriend (or sexual partners) and acquiring chlamydia again. Given that you are concerned about treatment working on your throat, and you may have passed on chlamydia to your boyfriend (or sexual partners) we would advise that you go back and speak to your medical professional.

Is there any cure for herpes?because im taking this acyclovir for too long around 2years and still i have herpes i am scared that i'll pass it to my wife:(

Hi, thanks for your question. Unfortunately, there is currently no cure for herpes. While it is possible to treat outbreaks of herpes with medications and ointments, once you have the herpes virus it is with you for life. Many, many people carry the herpes virus without knowing it. Many people do not experience outbreaks (sores or wounds) at all , some may experience them once or twice, and some may have outbreaks relatively often. While it is possible to transmit herpes to others from skin to skin contact, it is more likely if you are having an outbreak. It’s a good idea to talk to a trusted doctor about your options for managing herpes. There are many effective treatments which may lessen the severity and length of the outbreak. It’s also important to remember that herpes is extremely common, and it is definitely nothing to be ashamed of! If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to get in touch!

Hi there, I was wondering why perhaps mycoplasma genitallium wasn't listed on your STI list? Also, if someone comes into your clinic, can you help him become fully knowledgeable with regards to all STIs and how to prevent them from happening? I have a young friend who I am wanting to come see you to get proper current full info regarding HIV and all other STI so wanted to confirm. Many thanks!

Hi, thanks for your question. Mycoplasma genitalliam (MG) is not currently listed on our STI list. The Ending HIV website covers the primary and most common STIs which are cause for concern when they are not detected and treated. More research about MG is needed, however as it stands MG is not routinely tested for. This is true of many STIs. Out a[TEST] clinics are a great service for someone who wants more information about the range of STIs which gay men are routinely tested for, as well as information about how to prevent them. The service is run by trained peers (other gay and bi men) and sexual health nurses, so you can be confident that the information you receive is accurate and current. You can find out more about a[TEST] and/or book a test here: ACON’s Young Gay Men’s Project also offers a range of workshops that educate and empower young men to make informed decisions about their sexual health. They are also a great way for young guys to meet likeminded people, make friends and connect with community. You can find out more about the workshops here: If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to get in touch!

i had an unprotected sex with my partner. after 3 days, i had my regular test and got positive rectal chalm.trachomatis. then i told him and he had a test after that. today he got his results that are all negative. so i just wonder that is possible? because i only had sex with him. hence i got positive results, however he got negative ones. i completely get confused and feel wired. i dont know how i got infected? anything can explain this. btw i am bottom.

Hi, thank you for your question. Without knowing more information about your sexual history and the sexual history of your partner it is too hard to say what has happened here. If you really want to know, the best thing to do would be to have a discussion with your sexual partner and then a discussion with your medical practitioner. Seeing as you have been diagnosed with chlamydia, there are a few key things to remember. Firstly, don’t have sex while you are on treatment (anti-biotics) as it is very likely that you will pass it on to your sexual partner. Secondly, it is important not to have sex for at least seven days following the completion of your treatment.

I recently went to a gay massager and I am a bit curious. One thing lead to another and I gave him oral sex for a short period of time with no ejeculation. I am not sure if any Pre cum got in my mouth. I don't remember really swallowing after this as I was still on the table. I asked him after if he was clean and he said yes and he also said he was clean in a text later on. I know it sounds like low risk but what would be the best plan of attack? Which testing should I get done and at what time? I had good mouth health and had lightly brushed my teeth about two hours before this happened . I simply want the best plan to easy my mind

Hi, thank you for your question. From what you have described it is extremely unlikely that you would have acquired HIV. It is possible to acquire an STI from performing oral sex such as gonorrhoea and chlamydia. Often STIs are asymptomatic (meaning there are no associated symptoms). The only way to know if have an STIs is to get test. For more information on where to test in NSW: